Thursday, October 11, 2007

Outing Myself

I thought that ?? (movie/tv character) was gay.”

“My first boyfriend was gay, I’ve never really understood that.”

“It’s O.K. You can tell us.”

All right, the first two are actual co-workers’ quotes from this week. The third one I made up because I couldn’t remember the one my boss said today. But it was, overall, a week that offered up a variety of opportunities to talk about being gay. Coming out was/is on my mind, and if I had felt that any of those were the right opening line, I may have jumped on it.

I know, those two of you who are reading this, that you might have expected some grand post today. Have patience. The specifics are that our department has a weekly luncheon on Friday, and that’s where I planned to step out. Besides, the office magpie (and I say that in the most Christian way, possible) was home sick today, and I deserve to experience her reaction fully.

So, tomorrow it is. Day late, maybe, but who cares.

I’m sure it will be just fine. For chrissakes, I’m working with two English majors and a Theatre major. As if that’s not gay.

No comments: