Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Commute (pt. 1)

Just about the time the trusty Toyota hit top gear, I glanced to the left and saw a man taking aim with a rifle. Fortunately, his back was to me and he was aiming at something in the field behind his driveway. Still accelerating as I drove out of town on my way home from work, I didn’t get much more than a glance. Another little visual tucked away from my daily commute.

Some trips I spend the time checking out the out-buildings; other times it’s the crops. Vacant farms, beautiful gardens, and a 1963 (I think) Plymouth Valiant Wagon. All on a 40 min. drive to and from work each and every day.

Leaving my house, I navigate a few city streets until I reach the freeway. Since I leave the house just after 8, traffic isn’t too heavy and I’m quickly up to speed on my way out of town. The trip consists of 30 miles of freeway traffic, and 10 miles of rural highway.

Although I look around while on the freeway, I can’t really see much at 75-85 mph. The driving is too competitive anyway, and I’m always more concerned about making good time. It’s when I hit that last stretch that I ease up, look around and enjoy the view.

Earlier this week in the morning ride, a small falcon crossed over just ahead of my car, on its way across the field, probably in search of a better view of the cornfield. Other days it’s seeing the older farmer who walks along the side of the road, accompanied by a poodle-mix dog, also of a certain age trotting gamely behind him. I imagine her name is Sandy.
It’s usually a very nice drive, and this time of year, I’m looking forward to seeing the fall colors. The winter? Well, I’ll think about that when it comes.

4 comments:

GayProf said...

I am intrigued by the Plymouth Valiant Wagon. Is it running or just rusting in a field?

Marlan said...

GP, it looks like it could run, but it has been parked all summer in the front yard of a manufactured home (naturally). I intend to take some pics of this drive soon.

Marlan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marlan said...

GP, thanks for being my first commenter.