Friday, August 24, 2007

Thursday's my night

For the past, gee, let me think.

For the past 25 years or so, I have been visiting the same bar. It used to be called the "Frolic," and now it is called "The Elbow Room." It's the sort of place that Cheers could have been, before the writers and set designers got ahold of it and made it really something detestable, like the series ended up being.

I digress. Thursday has often been a good night out with my straight friends. I've known most of them (all three) since grade school/middle school.

So, it's a comfortable get together. Lots of mutual jokes and mocking of past failures. Ex-wives and former dates are mercilessly tossed onto the pyre of laughter. Add some politics and topicality, and you're gold for the evening.

Topics from tonight included:

1) A thorough discussion of the qualifications (large breasts) and relative intelligence of the Hooters International Contest, which was playing on the big screen TVs. Instead of the evening gown competition, it should have been named the "sluttiest prom dress EVER contest."

2) High school teachers we still hate.

3) ED drugs are not just for straight men (I brought up that topic)

4 or 5 beers later, it's time for bed.

No comments: