Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mixed feelings

She was asked to take a week's leave, with pay, for violating a sick leave policy. My initial thought was surprise. How can that be? I always had joked that she was a hypochondriac, but this was too funny, so I had to start off with some smug humor.

I snickered to myself; a wide smile creept across my face. I arched an eyebrow and basked in the glory of being right. When others see what I saw behind her facade, it proves what I have said and thought of her since the early days of our marriage. At the very least, someone has her number there and apparently her boss can't stand her. What a surprise!

But then I sighed, because I knew she probably deserved it. Arrogant and imperious to the end, it's the sort of ending I had hoped I could write, but never dared to even dream about. And still, I won't write it because I know it's not over. She will survive this, at a lesser rate of pay in a different job (another snicker).

Now she can focus on another guy who fucked her over.

Some things never change.

No comments: