Wednesday, January 9, 2008

All work, no play


Grading done? Comments written? Agenda and materials copied? Briefcase packed and waiting at the door? Check.


Extra sandwich bought? Car has enough gas? Check.


I have to drive 40 miles in 45 minutes between jobs. I drive with sandwich in hand. It's usually a Subway BMT with provolone and lettuce, tomatoes, onion, green pepper and black olives. No sauces or mayo. They might drip in while I drive. Last time that happened was when I was being followed by a State Cop. As I reached down to try to catch a drop of mayo, I drifted near the center line. He pulled me over. No ticket, but, of course, I was late for work.


It's really not too much of a stretch to do two jobs--it just depends on how many nights a week the 2nd job takes. This week, I have to teach/support Mon.-Thurs. That makes Marlan a busy guy. Most weeks it's only 2 nights.


So far, three out of four are done this week. One left. I'm pretty beat.


One of these years, I'll be out of credit card debt. Until then....


I drive.

No comments: